Thursday, February 2, 2012

Creating your own materials for "The Presentation in the Temple"

After I finished my last blog post, it occurred to me that I should share some additional information on making figures and a temple  for those who might like to have these materials for their children.

Most of the inspiration for my materials came from my Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training and the Materials Manual provided by the National Association for the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.  However, if you search a bit on the internet you can find directions for making wood peg dolls, which are very similar (and perhaps even easier) than the figures I made from wooden dowels and porcelain clay.

The temple was my own creation, inspired by the plastic cake pillars I found at a garage sale.  However, the Faith Expressions website has helpful instructions on how to make a temple diorama using a plain cardboard photo box and a few other materials.    These dioramas are designed to fit their beautiful clay figurines but would may also work with wood peg people, depending on the size of your wood pegs.  I purchased their "Year After Year We Tell the Stories" booklet, which was also very helpful.

If you make something, please let me know.  I would love to see photos and will share them on this blog if you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment